Pretty much anyone who participates in aerials or burlesque in Austin knows Ginger Snaps for her many contributions to performance spaces around town. Her gravity-defying spins and fun characters are a delight to watch on stage.
Yet, as a plus-size performer, it hasn’t always been easy for her. Not all members of the burlesque and aerial scenes are welcoming of different body shapes and sizes, so Ginger has had to forge new pathways for herself.
Ginger and I talked about her experiences with fatphobia, self-doubt, studios with unnecessary weight limits, and more. Plus, Ginger gives some great advice for aspiring athletes in larger bodies.
- Ginger’s journey to becoming the Tastiest Tease in Texas, which includes people mistaking her for a burlesque performer before she ever was.
- How the fun and creativity of burlesque and aerials have kept her coming back.
- Ginger’s definition of burlesque as “theatrical striptease” and the importance of sexual expression.
- Ginger’s love of and talent for spinning on her aerial apparatuses.
- Some of Ginger’s favorites, quickfire style!
- Her experiences with fatphobia ranging from audience members to doctors.
- Dealing with her own self-doubt in the industry, including how she never thought she’d have a professional circus contract like she does now.
- The weird experience of being a role model without anyone ever asking her to be one.
- Weight limits and weight stigma in aerial studios
- What the biggest difference is between people doing aerials in a larger body versus a smaller body (hint: it’s not physical).
- Ginger’s advice for those in plus-size bodies who are interested in different athletic pursuits but afraid to get started.
- Her thoughts on making aerials and burlesque more inclusive.
- The importance of figuring out the “taco to ab” ratio that works best for you.
- How Ginger defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life, including finding a balance between the mental and physical.
“I think it’s important for women to be able to own their own sexuality and present themselves in a sexual manner in the way that they want to be seen as opposed to the way that they’re told to be seen.” – Ginger Snaps
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Sky Candy aerial arts studio
- A clip of Ginger spinning fast on her favorite apparatus, her sphere
- A clip from Ginger’s Tenacious D act
- A clip from Ginger’s Wicker Man act
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in iTunes.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who need this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
Ginger Snaps, the Tastiest Tease in Texas, is an award-winning burlesque performer and aerialist in Austin, Texas. She is a member of Black Widow Burlesque as well as the Performance Manager for Sky Candy aerial arts. In addition to performing, Ginger produces a wide range of burlesque and aerial shows including the Buxom Blaze Festival, a plus-size burlesque, drag, and variety fest! You can find Ginger on her website, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.