[This episode is part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series sponsored by Superfit Hero.]
If I told you this episode’s guest is a professional dancer who has worked with some of the biggest celebrities in the world, including Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Meghan Trainor, who would you picture? Probably not someone who looks like Amanda LaCount, and that’s what she’s on a mission to change.
Amanda is a plus-size hip-hop dancer in Los Angeles who’s been dancing since the age of two. She has refused to let the industry’s narrow body standards (and trolls on the internet) stop her from pursuing her dreams. Her movement, #breakingthestereotype, is all about doing what you love no matter what you look like.
- Some of Amanda’s favorites, such as songs to dance to, sneakers, and more.
- Amanda’s journey to becoming a professional hip-hop dancer.
- Times where Amanda was told she didn’t have the right body for dance but kept going anyway.
- How supportive Amanda’s mom has been of her passion.
- The state of the dance world today as far as the willingness to accept dancers outside of a certain physical mold.
- Whether it’s ever too late to start dancing.
- The hard work that goes on behind the scenes even when it seems like someone got famous “overnight.”
- The surreal nature of being 19 and having already worked with some of the biggest celebrities in the world.
- A recent project that felt really special to her.
- How Amanda’s positive online persona doesn’t mean she doesn’t struggle.
- What it’s been like to deal with trolls and what Amanda would say to them if they were listening.
- Amanda’s inspiration for creating her hashtag, #breakingthestereotype.
- Her advice for people who are afraid to dance for fear of being made fun of or not being good at it.
- What Amanda is excited about coming up in her future.
- How she defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in this Episode:
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series
Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand with sizes that range from XS-5XL, and they aim to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. To get 15% off your first order, you can use the special series discount code, CHANGEMAKER, when you check out at superfithero.com. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
Amanda LaCount is a professional dancer from Fort Collins, CO. She has danced with Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lizzo, & Meghan Trainor and has danced on shows such as DWTS, RDMA, Peoples’ Choice Awards, & The Ellen Show. She has her own movement, #breakingthestereotype, and promotes body positivity. You can catch up with Amanda on her website, Instagram, Tik Tok, YouTube, and Facebook.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, & more, or right-click HERE and select "Save Link As" to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.