Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
If I told you this episode's guest is a professional dancer who has worked with some of the biggest celebrities in the world, including Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Meghan Trainor, who would you picture? Probably not someone who looks like Amanda LaCount, and that's what she's on a mission to change.
Amanda is a plus-size hip-hop dancer in Los Angeles who's been dancing since the age of two. She has refused to let the industry's narrow body standards (and trolls on the internet) stop her from pursuing her dreams. Her movement, #breakingthestereotype, is all about doing what you love no matter what you look like.
- Some of Amanda's favorites, such as songs to dance to, sneakers, and more.
- Amanda's journey to becoming a professional hip-hop dancer.
- Times where Amanda was told she didn't have the right body for dance but kept going anyway.
- How supportive Amanda's mom has been of her passion.
- The state of the dance world today as far as the willingness to accept dancers outside of a certain physical mold.
- Whether it's ever too late to start dancing.
- The hard work that goes on behind the scenes even when it seems like someone got famous “overnight.”
- The surreal nature of being 19 and having already worked with some of the biggest celebrities in the world.
- A recent project that felt really special to her.
- How Amanda's positive online persona doesn't mean she doesn't struggle.
- What it's been like to deal with trolls and what Amanda would say to them if they were listening.
- Amanda's inspiration for creating her hashtag, #breakingthestereotype.
- Her advice for people who are afraid to dance for fear of being made fun of or not being good at it.
- What Amanda is excited about coming up in her future.
- How she defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Darrion Gallegos, the dancer who wore heels throughout Ariana Grande's Sweetener tour
- Rihanna's Savage X Fenty Show that Amanda performed in
- Choreographer Parris Goebel
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand that aims to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Featured in This Episode
Amanda LaCount (she/her) is a professional dancer from Fort Collins, CO. She has danced with Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lizzo, & Meghan Trainor and has danced on shows such as DWTS, RDMA, Peoples' Choice Awards, & The Ellen Show. She has her own movement, #breakingthestereotype, and promotes body positivity. You can catch up with Amanda on her website, Instagram, Tik Tok, YouTube, and Facebook.
The Queer Agenda
The Queer Agenda is a newsletter dedicated to uplifting LGBTQIA+ folks (where our accomplices benefit too) by sharing thoughtful tools, strategies, advice, and encouragement to help us heal and come home to ourselves. It’s equal parts warm hug, gentle kick in the ass, and queer magic.