Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Astrology is basically queer canon, so I thought Pridepalooza was the perfect time to invite an astrologer on the podcast to help us all learn about what happens when Mercury is in lemonade (did I do that right?). Enter Bear Ryver.
Bear is a full-time, professional astrologer practicing through an intersectional, post-colonial lens, and he has such a warm soul. Whether you're an astrology aficionado, only sometimes dabble in the stars, or think astrology is absolutely ridiculous, there's something in this episode for everyone.
- Bear's journey into astrology
- Why Bear thinks queer folks gravitate toward astrology.
- What astrology is and where it comes from.
- Whether or not you need to be a true believer to benefit from astrology.
- Free will versus fate.
- The limited utility of horoscopes that are written for a general audience.
- The difference between your sun, moon, and rising signs.
- What it means to practice astrology through an inclusive, post-colonial lens.
- Some of the differences that present themselves when comparing historical readings to modern ones.
- The responsibility of the practitioner to treat their clients in an affirming way.
- How Bear thinks of the relationship between courage and bravery.
- Bear's recommendations for where to get started with astrology.
- What queerness is to Bear.
Mentioned in This Episode
- The CHANI app
- “More Adult Americans Are Identifying as L.G.B.T., Gallup Poll Finds” – The New York Times
- Free Solo documentary
- Matthew Sheppard [CW: homophobia and murder]
- You Were Born For This by Chani Nicholas
- Braving the Wilderness by Brené Brown
Ample + Rooted Guided Meditation
This episode is brought to you in part by Ample + Rooted, an inclusive therapy practice directed by Neathery Falchuk that provides an affirming and welcoming home for diverse individuals to reclaim their inherent worth. The awesome practitioners at Ample + Rooted not only serve folks locally here in Austin, they also serve folks online all over the globe. Through therapy, mindfulness practices, courses, trainings, and events, they support, guide, and hold space for folks to feel valued and nourished. The Ample + Rooted group created an exclusive guided meditation on Cultivating Self-Trust and Embodied Wisdom for listeners of Conjuring Up Courage, which you can access for free by clicking here. Also be sure to check out the Ample + Rooted website and Instagram.
Featured in This Episode
Bear Ryver (he/him) is a full-time, professional consulting astrologer living on occupied and unceded Ohlone land (aka the East San Francisco Bay Area). Using astrology as the map and compass, Bear brings the tools of active listening, thoughtful inquiry, accountability, and storytelling to help his clients get back to BASICS: bravery, authenticity, sovereignty, integrity, courage, and stewardship. When he's not pulling charts & cards, you can find Bear playing guitar, climbing rocks, and hiking close to home. Keep up with Bear on his website, Patreon, Twitter, and Instagram.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Bear's work. Book a reading with Bear, get on his booking email list, leave him a tip through Paypal or Venmo (username @bearryver), or join his Patreon.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.