I met my personal Girl Gang through my aerial studio. Ally does silks, Tiffany does lyra, and I do trapeze. We were drawn together through the spark of shared interests, and we’ve stuck together because of a sisterhood that burns bright. And, it just so happens that all three of us identify as bisexual and queer.
Through the course of our friendship, we’ve been able to talk to each other about pretty much anything on our minds. We’ve taken that same openness and honesty to this podcast episode in honor of Bi Visibility Day. Both social connections and sexual orientation affect health and well-being, so this episode felt like a must.
We share our experiences as bisexual women, and we delve deep into many of the bisexuality myths and misconceptions we’ve come across. Support your local girl gang and give it a listen. [Note: This episode is particularly explicit, so don’t listen to this one around kiddos!]
- Our queer crushes.
- When and how we realized that we weren’t straight.
- The imposter syndrome that comes along with being a bisexual person.
- How you don’t need receipts to know that you identify as bisexual.
- The bisexual erasure and biphobia that comes from within the LGBTQ+ community.
- The phenomenon of heterosexual couples looking for bisexual “unicorns.”
- The myth that bisexual people must be 50% attracted to men and 50% attracted to women.
- The myth that bisexuality is inherently transphobic.
- How bi people who are in heterosexual-passing relationships have not “chosen a side.”
- The myth that bisexual people cannot be in a monogamous relationship without cheating.
- Our favorite queer fashion pieces in our closets.
- What being queer means to each of us at this moment in our lives.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Megan Rapinoe, lilac-haired goddess of the USWNT
- Brendon Urie, lead singer of Panic! At The Disco
- Florence Given, Artist & Writer
- Tilda Swinton, actress
- The movie Only Lovers Left Alive starring Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston.
- The religion of Shohreh’s parent when she was growing up, The Baha’i Faith
- TERFs – Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists
- Westley from The Princess Bride
- Bi icon Freddie Mercury of Queen
- Kyrsten Sinema, the first openly bisexual United States senator
- Janelle Monae, a musician who identifies as pansexual
- Tiff’s queer jean jacket
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in iTunes.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who need this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
The Girl Gang is made up of Shohreh, host of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast, as well as two of her closest friends, Tiffany Cunningham and Ally Ridnour.
Tiffany is a graphic designer, aerial enthusiast, fanfic author, cat mom, and bisexual human disaster, i.e., basically your run-of-the-mill stranger you could meet on the street. She’s been in a straight-passing relationship for 10 years (and married for almost 6 of those). Both she and her husband are bisexual and are still navigating what that means for them as partners. Tiffany is also delightfully proud to be friends with Shohreh, and their friendship has grown through their shared passions, mental health struggles, and shared experiences as queer women. You can find Tiffany on Instagram.
Ally has self-identified as bisexual and/or queer since adolescence. She is an avid aerialist and lover of all things spooky. Raised in a Unitarian church, she was given access to resources and support to explore her sexual identity from a young age, which gave her the confidence and ability to live as an openly bisexual person for as long as she can remember. You can find Ally on Instagram.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.
Cash App: cash.app/$ShohrehDavoodi