Dr. Kate Browne is a pop culture writer and rhetorician. She is also the Vice President of Communications for the Body Positive Fitness Alliance and the founder of Taking Up Space, a blog about marketing tactics in the health, wellness, and fitness industries. In fact, I have paid Kate for consultation work on my own website and marketing copy – she really knows her stuff!
Kate spoke with me about the use of shame-based marketing in health and wellness and shared alternatives to the typical before-and-after weight loss stories we’re all used to seeing. We also chatted about the difference between body positivity as a political movement and the “love yourself” version of body positivity that is currently popular.
- Kate’s background in comedy and theater and how she came to do the work she is doing today.
- Why the “your body is your billboard” mentality in marketing is unnecessary.
- Diversity on SNL and the power of seeing people who look like you on screen.
- Kate’s return to the stage as the frontwoman for a cover band.
- Her experiences with Weight Watchers and how damaging it was for her to grow up dieting.
- How Kate defines the “positive” part of body positivity as presence.
- The “love yourself” version of body positivity as the gateway to the political aspects of the body positivity movement.
- Why shame-based marketing is bad marketing, even though it technically works by keeping people coming back.
- The clash between the promise of intentional weight loss and body positivity, particularly from a fitness marketing perspective.
- Why evangelizing body positivity, HAES, etc. can take autonomy away from other people when it comes to their bodies.
- How before and after success stories are harmful and what kinds of stories we can tell instead that are also effective.
- Kate’s upcoming academic book on the TV show, The Golden Girls.
- How Kate defines health and wellness for herself at this point in her life, in particular, focusing on her emotional health.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- The culture-making feminist marketing expert, Kelly Diels (if you’re an entrepreneur, I highly recommend signing up for her newsletter – it’s gold!)
- TV Milestones Series from Wayne State University Press
- The Golden Girls, Season 4, Episode 23 – Rites of Spring
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in iTunes.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who need this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
Dr. Kate Browne is a pop culture writer and rhetorician who writes about how body-based autobiography like before-and-after weight loss success stories teach us how to live. She is the Vice President of Communications for the Body Positive Fitness Alliance and the founder of Taking Up Space, a blog about marketing tactics in the health, wellness, and fitness industries. You can find Kate on Twitter, Instagram, and her website.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.
Cash App: cash.app/$ShohrehDavoodi