Think sugar causes diabetes? Think again. Diabetes is such a misunderstood disease that I knew it deserved its own episode on the podcast. Even though people seem wholly confused about how Health At Every Size and intuitive eating can apply to those diagnosed with diabetes, the truth is, they’re completely compatible. Thankfully, my friend, Lauren Newman, an RD who specializes in diabetes, was up to the task of doing some myth busting around diabetes on the show.
- How Lauren came to specialize in diabetes specifically even though that was not her original plan.
- Biologically speaking how type 1 and type 2 diabetes work in the body.
- The myth that sugar causes diabetes and the misunderstanding of what’s actually going on that has led to that myth.
- How there’s no agreed-upon definition of “reversing diabetes,” but you can’t actually change the functioning of your body.
- The guilt and shame that often surrounds a diabetes diagnosis due to cultural stigma.
- What a “pre-diabetes” diagnosis really means for you.
- Why going on a restrictive diet and trying to lose weight is a terrible idea if you’re diagnosed with pre-diabetes or Type II diabetes.
- How correlation doesn’t equal causation when it comes to weight and diabetes.
- The compatibility of intuitive eating and diabetes, including what considerations might need to be taken into account.
- Stigma against taking medications for diabetes.
- How Lauren defines health and wellness for herself, in particular making a point to look at the big picture.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Kerbey Lane Cafe
- The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
- History and information about the pre-diabetes diagnosis
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
Lauren Newman, RD, LD is a registered dietitian in Houston, Texas passionate about helping individuals with diabetes make peace with food and their bodies. Lauren practices from a Health At Every Size® and weight-inclusive approach to help clients connect with their bodies’ needs and learn to respond without rigidity, restriction, or shame. You can find Lauren on her website and Instagram.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.