Weight stigma is pervasive in all parts of society, and it especially rears its ugly head when it comes to pregnancy and mothering. Nicola Salmon, a fat-positive fertility coach who supports people in larger bodies during their pregnancy journeys, joined me all the way from London to discuss the unique barriers her clients face when it comes to getting pregnant.
From BMI cut-offs to judgmental strangers and doctors, it’s not easy trying to navigate pregnancy in a larger body. Nicola shared strategies for how to advocate for yourself at the doctor’s office, how to work on overcoming internalized weight stigma, and more.
- Nicola’s experience going from being diagnosed with PCOS as a teen and being told she would never be able to have children to now having two kids.
- The specific obstacles that people in larger bodies face when they are trying to get pregnant.
- The importance of understanding the difference between absolute and relative risk when it comes to risks in pregnancy.
- The societal belief that people in larger bodies will be bad mothers.
- How weight stigma even affects the adoption process.
- Practical ways people in larger bodies can advocate for themselves at the doctor’s office.
- The difficult situation some people end up in where the only way they can have a family is to lose weight due to the rules of different clinics.
- Unlearning people-pleasing as women and working to say “just” and “I’m sorry” less.
- How to begin to overcome your own internalized fatphobia so you can stress less when you’re trying to get pregnant.
- The ways pregnancy can change your feelings about your body.
- What it’s like to work with Nicola as a coach and who would benefit from it.
- How Nicola defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life, including keeping things simple since she is juggling so much.
Mentioned in this Episode:
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in iTunes.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who need this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
Nicola is a fat-positive and feminist fertility coach and the author of “Fat and Fertile.” She advocates for change in how fat women are treated on their fertility journey. She supports fat women who are struggling to get pregnant to find peace with their bodies, find their own version of health, and finally escape the yo-yo dieting cycle. You can find Nicola on her website, Instagram, and Facebook.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.