Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
There is nothing in our lives that our finances don’t touch. How much money we have and how we spend it affects our self-care, community care, health, and ability to live according to our values. That’s why Kara Perez, the founder of Bravely Go, advocates for a feminist approach to finances. Through considering both our personal financial goals and our positioning in the world, we can get more comfortable with money and make bank.
- The work that Bravely Go does and Kara’s journey to founding the business.
- Why Kara has chosen to focus her business around specifically helping women with their finances.
- How Kara tries to balance systemic problems and personal responsibility when giving financial advice.
- Strategies for moving away from mindless spending to more values-based spending.
- Some of the ways our finances connect to our health and well-being.
- What financial self-care might look like.
- Kara’s thoughts on millennial money myths perpetuated by the media.
- The benefits of being more transparent about our finances, both at work and in our personal lives.
- One actionable money move that Kara recommends everyone make.
- How Kara defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Kara’s 2014 and 2015 tax returns on her Instagram account
Featured in This Episode
Kara Perez (she/her) is the founder of Bravely Go, a feminist financial education company. Bravely focuses on bringing actionable, intersectional, and accessible financial education to people via pop-up events and online community. Additionally, Kara co-hosts the award-winning podcast, The Fairer Cents, which has been named the top money podcast for women by Forbes and The Balance. Kara has been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, NPR, Glamour, ABC Nightline News, and U.S. News and World Report as a financial expert. You can learn more about Kara on her website, Instagram, and Twitter.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Kara’s work. Check out the Bravely Go budgeting workbooks and tell a friend about Kara and the awesome financial feminism work she’s doing.
Take a Deeper Dive into Redefining Health & Wellness
- All episodes are available to listen to on a variety of podcast players, including Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify.
- Join the conversation with host Shohreh Davoodi on Instagram and Facebook, and access exclusive podcast content on Patreon.
- Sign up for Shohreh's email newsletter to be one of the first to hear about new episodes and announcements.
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to invest in and support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Join my Patreon.
Patreon is a way for badass people like you to stand with and celebrate the creators you love (like me!). While becoming a patron is primarily a declaration that you believe in the content I'm already putting out, you'll also get extra perks for joining, such as podcast exclusives and Q&A recordings. Learn more and sign up here.
2. Leave a tip.
Can't commit to ongoing contributions right now? Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app:
3. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode, and ratings and reviews help other people who could benefit from the podcast's content to actually find it. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts, and then scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. And if you're enjoying the podcast overall or specific episodes in particular, don't hesitate to share with the people in your life or give a shout-out on social media.