Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
There is nothing in our lives that our finances don't touch. How much money we have and how we spend it affects our self-care, community care, health, and ability to live according to our values. That's why Kara Perez, the founder of Bravely Go, advocates for a feminist approach to finances. Through considering both our personal financial goals and our positioning in the world, we can get more comfortable with money and make bank.
- The work that Bravely Go does and Kara's journey to founding the business.
- Why Kara has chosen to focus her business around specifically helping women with their finances.
- How Kara tries to balance systemic problems and personal responsibility when giving financial advice.
- Strategies for moving away from mindless spending to more values-based spending.
- Some of the ways our finances connect to our health and well-being.
- What financial self-care might look like.
- Kara's thoughts on millennial money myths perpetuated by the media.
- The benefits of being more transparent about our finances, both at work and in our personal lives.
- One actionable money move that Kara recommends everyone make.
- How Kara defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Kara's 2014 and 2015 tax returns on her Instagram account
Featured in This Episode
Kara Perez (she/her) is the founder of Bravely Go, a feminist financial education company. Bravely focuses on bringing actionable, intersectional, and accessible financial education to people via pop-up events and online community. Additionally, Kara co-hosts the award-winning podcast, The Fairer Cents, which has been named the top money podcast for women by Forbes and The Balance. Kara has been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, NPR, Glamour, ABC Nightline News, and U.S. News and World Report as a financial expert. You can learn more about Kara on her website, Instagram, and Twitter.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Kara's work. Check out the Bravely Go budgeting workbooks and tell a friend about Kara and the awesome financial feminism work she's doing.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.