Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
If you’re anything like me, there are probably some areas of communication in your relationships that you’d like to improve on. Luckily, this episode features Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist Elizabeth Earnshaw, better known as @lizlistens on Instagram, and she’s ready to help us out. While committed relationships aren’t always easy to navigate, Liz offers some simple strategies we can employ to keep our relationships as healthy as possible.
- The work Liz does and why she got into it.
- Three of the hallmarks of a healthy relationship—respect, reliability, and responsiveness.
- The barriers that hold people back from regularly embodying all three of those hallmarks.
- How “The Four Horsemen”—criticism, defensiveness, stonewalling, and contempt—show up in conflict.
- How to move from criticism to complaint and from defensive to responsive.
- The importance of repairing when you mess up.
- Why the process of conflict often matters more than the details of the conflict.
- Bids for connection and what it looks like to turn toward, against or away from them.
- The dismissiveness that can result from playing devil’s advocate.
- Boundaries in romantic relationships and how they differ from ultimatums.
- How transparency reveals the reality of the relationship.
- One final tip for having better relationships through honoring the life of the other person.
- How Liz defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
Featured in This Episode
Elizabeth Earnshaw (she/her) is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and Certified Gottman Therapist. She owns A Better Life Therapy in Philadelphia, PA where she and her colleagues have supported hundreds of couples. Elizabeth also writes and speaks on relationships. She shares many of her insights on her Instagram account and within her membership program, Love Lessons 365.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Elizabeth’s work. Sign up for her membership program, Love Lessons 365, here.
Take a Deeper Dive into Redefining Health & Wellness
- All episodes are available to listen to on a variety of podcast players, including Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify.
- Join the conversation with host Shohreh Davoodi on Instagram and Facebook, and access exclusive podcast content on Patreon.
- Sign up for Shohreh's email newsletter to be one of the first to hear about new episodes and announcements.
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to invest in and support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Join my Patreon.
Patreon is a way for badass people like you to stand with and celebrate the creators you love (like me!). While becoming a patron is primarily a declaration that you believe in the content I'm already putting out, you'll also get extra perks for joining, such as podcast exclusives and Q&A recordings. Learn more and sign up here.
2. Leave a tip.
Can't commit to ongoing contributions right now? Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app:
3. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode, and ratings and reviews help other people who could benefit from the podcast's content to actually find it. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts, and then scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. And if you're enjoying the podcast overall or specific episodes in particular, don't hesitate to share with the people in your life or give a shout-out on social media.