Check back for a written transcript of this episode.
- Why some people rebel against routines.
- How I've used organizing as a coping strategy for my ADHD from a young age.
- Strategies for learning to embrace routines if you're resistant to them.
- Moving out of all-or-nothing thinking to allow for flexibility.
- Getting curious about where your current habits and routines come from and whether or not they're working for you.
- The trial and error process that new routines require.
- The importance of assessing not only how much time a task is going to take you, but also how much energy you'll have to exert.
- How to make your routines more fun and joyful, or alternatively, more tolerable.
- Getting creative with your organization and searching for products that meet your needs.
- Some customer favorites for products that Ashley sells.
- Ashley's tips for getting started if your routines need some work, and her five routine categories: Cooking, Cleaning, Children, Self-Care, and Planning.
Mentioned in This Episode
- The Routine and Things Podcast
- Charlotte Palermino
- My four-compartment laundry hamper
- The Container Store
- Routine and Things Daily Planning Notepad
- Routine and Things Meal Planning Notepad
- Routine and Things Weekly Planning Notepad
- Ashley's free routine assessment
Ample + Rooted Guided Meditation
This episode is brought to you in part by Ample + Rooted, an inclusive therapy practice directed by Neathery Falchuk that provides an affirming and welcoming home for diverse individuals to reclaim their inherent worth. The awesome practitioners at Ample + Rooted not only serve folks locally here in Austin, they also serve folks online all over the globe. Through therapy, mindfulness practices, courses, trainings, and events, they support, guide, and hold space for folks to feel valued and nourished. The Ample + Rooted group created an exclusive guided meditation on Cultivating Self-Trust and Embodied Wisdom for listeners of Conjuring Up Courage, which you can access for free by clicking here. Also be sure to check out the Ample + Rooted website and Instagram.
Featured in This Episode
Ashley Brown (she/her) is the founder and owner of Routine and Things, a product-based business equipping women to consistently live their happiest life one routine at a time. Ashley strongly believes routines are a form of wellness and can be a beautiful springboard for improving your home, yourself, and your life. She hosts the Routine and Things Podcast, a space to learn and become inspired on all things routine. She’s on a mission to see as many women as possible live life with ease by starting, maintaining, and enjoying fun and freeing routines! You can keep up with Ashley on the Routine and Things website and Instagram.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Ashley's work. Consider buying some of her amazing products.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.