[This episode is part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series sponsored by Superfit Hero.]
Carolina Guízar is a Mexican-American registered dietitian who is based in New York City. When Carolina noticed a lack of Latinx voices in the intuitive eating space, she and a colleague decided to develop an intuitive eating and body image course specifically for Latinos.
In our conversation, Carolina and I delved into specific intuitive eating barriers and considerations for Latinx communities. We also talked about body image pressures, familial trauma, and why adopting intuitive eating can be so dang hard.
- How a series of sneezing fits led Carolina to a disordered relationship with food and ultimately dietetics.
- The 2016 election’s effect on the trajectory of Carolina’s career as a dietitian.
- The Latinx Health Collective and Carolina’s decision to focus on serving the Latinx community specifically.
- Some of the ways in which intuitive eating may look a little different in Latinx communities.
- Mental health taboos in Latinx communities and how the trauma and lack of emotional availability from parents can have a dramatic effect on children.
- The importance of the Health At Every Size® model and the flexibility it offers for understanding health.
- The privilege inherent in even being able to access HAES®-aligned health practitioners.
- Specific standards of beauty often seen in Latinx communities.
- The difficulty of the fact that so many people who identify as women have been taught to believe that their value is in their appearance.
- How it’s easier to adopt intuitive eating and Health At Every Size® when you have a body that can move through the world with less stigma.
- The importance of free and accessible content for different communities since coaching isn’t available to everyone.
- How Carolina defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in this Episode:
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series
Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand with sizes that range from XS-5XL, and they aim to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. To get 15% off your first order, you can use the special series discount code, CHANGEMAKER, when you check out at superfithero.com. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
Carolina Guízar is a registered dietitian nutritionist based in New York City. She does one-on-one nutrition coaching virtually and in person, and she developed an online course on intuitive eating and body image healing for Latinos with a therapist colleague, Melissa Carmona. You can find Carolina on her website, the Latinx Health Collective website, and Instagram.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, & more, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.