Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
James Rose is a non-binary actor and storyteller who single-handedly makes the internet a better place, and it was a delight to have them on the show. We were having such a great conversation that I couldn't bear to cut it short, which means James and I gab about all manner of things for over an hour in this episode. From acting and queerness to breakups and stuffed animals, there's something in our conversation for everyone.
- How James thinks of themself as a storyteller who uses a variety of mediums.
- Our shared love of TikTok as a social media platform.
- James's experiences in the acting world as an anti-diet, non-binary individual.
- The importance of letting queer folks tell their own stories in media.
- James's thoughts on how cis people can better support and affirm the trans community.
- Holding both the history of gender and the present of gender at the same time.
- Why James writes about their exes on Instagram.
- Choosing your pain when you're making challenging decisions.
- How James gets in touch with their inner child through their pink stuffed koala, Pam.
- Re-marking experiences and dating yourself after a breakup.
- James's dating app escapades.
- The Monday Motivation segment James does on social media.
Mentioned in This Episode
- More Adult Americans Are Identifying as L.G.B.T., Gallup Poll Finds – The New York Times
- The Time's Up movement
- The Danish Girl starring Eddie Redmayne
- Laverne Cox
- The Big Mouth pansexuality controversy
- Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
- @thenutritiontea's meme about mushrooms
- Alok Vaid-Menon
- Pam's origin story
- The League dating app
- The meaning of being an “accountant” on TikTok
Featured in This Episode
James Rose (they/them) is a non-binary New York City-based actor, Health At Every Size personal trainer, trauma-informed yoga teacher, and the co-host of the Full Soul Nutrition Podcast. They write about gender, liberation, eating disorder recovery, sex, their feelings, & their exes on Instagram where they hope to leave the internet a little better than they found it. You can keep up with James on Instagram and TikTok.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting James's work. Consider leaving a tip via Venmo or Paypal (username @jamesissmiling). James donates a portion of all tips to mutual aid. You can also drop into one of James's pay-what-you-can exercise classes with Full Soul Nutrition, hosted on Zoom.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, content creator, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.