Check back for a written transcript of this episode.
- Chaya's lengthy background in the automotive industry.
- The pushback Chaya gets for how she chooses to show up online.
- The difference between the free content Chaya puts out and her paid content.
- The need to hold back parts of yourself from public consumption when you have an online platform.
- How Chaya has incorporated fashion into her work.
- Why Chaya's visible femme identity is important for changing perceptions of who can work in the automotive industry.
- The myth that women will inevitably be ripped off by male mechanics.
- Chaya's recommendation to get to know your car's owner's manual.
- What items everyone should have in their vehicle.
- Car maintenance things that you can do yourself.
- The story of Chaya's viral, virtual, pandemic wedding that was attended by 10,000 people.
- The study Chaya is running to find the best cars for bigger bodies.
- Some examples of things fat folks have to deal with that folks with thin privilege do not.
Mentioned in This Episode
- The Mechanic Shop Femme blog and TikTok
- Chaya's online car ownership and maintenance classes
- Female Mechanic's Alliance
- “Should You Consider a Career in the Auto Industry?”
- Tiktok with Three Questions to Ask Your Mechanic
- “Should I Pour Hot Water on My Icy Windshield? Debunking Winter Car Care Myths”
- TikTok about the Weego Jump Starter
- A list of all of Chaya's recommendations
- TikTok that explains how to replace your car's air filter
- “Here's How We Pulled Off The Biggest, Queerest, Virtual Wedding”
- “Plus-Size Wedding Gowns on Real Plus-Size People”
- For a limited time, you can participate in Chaya's study to find the best cars for bigger bodies if you are over the size of a “women's” 24 or a “men's” 46—learn more and access it here
Featured in This Episode
Chaya Milchtein (she/her) is an automotive educator, journalist, and founder of Mechanic Shop Femme. As a queer, plus-size influencer based in Milwaukee, WI, Chaya's goal is to empower people to be educated car owners without the gatekeeping of car bro culture and be authentically themselves. You can keep up with Chaya on her website, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and Facebook.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Chaya's work. Sign up for Chaya's Patreon to set up recurring support for her great content. And for a limited time, you can participate in Chaya's study to find the best cars for bigger bodies if you are over the size of a “women's” 24 or a “men's” 46—learn more and access it here.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, content creator, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.