Lindley Ashline is a photographer who’s fighting back against negative media portrayals of fat bodies by showcasing them in all their glory in her work. She speaks out against narrow standards of beauty and the oppression that people living in marginalized bodies face. We had a lovely conversation on the pod about how she’s been channeling her anger into her art, and the realities of running a social justice-oriented business.
- The many projects and roles that Lindley has taken on through her work.
- How Lindley initially discovered the fat acceptance movement through LiveJournal.
- The effect Lindley’s unconventional childhood had on her beliefs about bodies since she had very limited access to things like TV or magazines.
- The ways in which fat bodies are negatively portrayed in mainstream media.
- Accessing your anger and harnessing it in your work.
- Limitations of most stock photography websites.
- The realities of social justice-oriented online businesses.
- The value of in-between spaces as part of the overall journey to more radical ones.
- Different considerations in the conversation about using Photoshop in service of art.
- How you can start working with clients in larger bodies if you never have before.
- How Lindley defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- The Fatshionista LiveJournal
- Authors Kate Harding and Marianne Kirby
- Wild America with Marty Stouffer
- Lindley’s Instagram post about assessing portrayals of fat people in the media
- Lindley’s email newsletter
- Presence in Body Positivity and Shame-Free Storytelling with Dr. Kate Browne | #9
- Reimagining Relationships with Melissa A. Fabello | #42
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
Lindley Ashline (pronounced LIN-lee, she/her) creates photographs that celebrates the unique beauty of bodies that fall outside conventional “beauty” standards. She is also the creator of Body Liberation Stock and the Body Love Shop, a curated resource for body-friendly products and artwork. You can find Lindley on her website, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to invest in and support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Join my Patreon.
Patreon is a way for badass people like you to stand with and celebrate the creators you love (like me!). While becoming a patron is primarily a declaration that you believe in the content I'm already putting out, you'll also get extra perks for joining, such as podcast exclusives and Q&A recordings. Learn more and sign up here.
2. Leave a tip.
Can't commit to ongoing contributions right now? Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app:
3. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode, and ratings and reviews help other people who could benefit from the podcast's content to actually find it. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts, and then scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. And if you're enjoying the podcast overall or specific episodes in particular, don't hesitate to share with the people in your life or give a shout-out on social media.