TW: Discussion of suicide, self-harm, and symptoms of mental disorders
The Girl Gang returns to share our personal experiences with mental health in an effort to combat stigma and normalize these discussions. Shame, a lack of information, and dismissive and negative comments kept all of us from getting the care we desperately needed for far too long, and we want to help others avoid the same fate.
We chatted about missed diagnoses in childhood (ranging from depression and anxiety to ADHD), finding a therapist and going to therapy, medication, access issues, building the tools in our mental health toolboxes, and more.
Hopefully you can learn something from our experiences or feel more affirmed in your own.
- Our privileges so that people know where we’re coming at this topic from.
- Our experiences with mental health growing up, including our understanding of what it was and how it affected us.
- How things like self-harm and suicide in our respective schools and friend groups impacted us.
- Our adulthood experiences with mental health, seeing therapists, and more.
- The fact that it’s uncommon for children to be taught how to deal with their feelings in healthy ways which has longlasting effects.
- What panic attacks can feel like.
- The ways in which coping mechanisms can be simultaneously constructive and destructive.
- Why the toolbox analogy is especially helpful for mental health.
- Mental health access issues like money, time, and finding the right practitioner fit.
- Other options besides therapy for improving your mental health since therapy isn’t accessible or right for everyone.
- How you don’t have to be “broken” to get something out of therapy.
- Medication and how the choice to take it doesn’t mean you’re weak.
- Deserving help regardless of whether you have a traumatic past or some other “reason” to suffer from the mental health issues that you do.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you've been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
The Girl Gang is made up of Shohreh Davoodi, host of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast, as well as two of her closest friends, Tiffany Cunningham and Ally Ridnour.
Tiffany (she/her) is a graphic designer, aerial enthusiast, fanfic author, cat mom, gay fairy gothmother, and bisexual human disaster. An actual Austin, Texas native, she’s been keeping her hometown weird long before it was cool. She is proud to be friends with Shohreh, and their friendship has grown through their shared passions for aerials and pop punk, mental health struggles, and experiences as queer women thumbing their noses at the patriarchy. You can find Tiffany on Instagram.
Shohreh (she/her) is a certified intuitive eating counselor, certified personal trainer, and a rainbow glitter bomb of a human. Through her online coaching and consulting work, Shohreh helps people give diet culture the finger so they can learn to eat and move intuitively. In her free time she enjoys exploring the great outdoors, singing emo music at the top of her lungs, playing with her two pups, crafting, trapezing, gardening, and baking. You can find Shohreh on Instagram.
Ally (she/her) is an aerialist, a horror movie enthusiast, and a proud member of the Girl Gang. She has been described as “actually a trench coat filled with snakes and chaos” as well as “literally a demon,” and she feels those are pretty accurate descriptions. When she’s not busy filling every space she encounters with chaotic energy, she can probably be found laughing about farts or giving long-winded speeches about her weird taste in music to unappreciative audiences. She has a lot of opinions. You can find Ally on Instagram.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, & more, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.