Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
The language we use has a big impact on how we view the world around us and how we view ourselves. Through language, we have the power to both uplift and harm others, even unintentionally.
As a proponent of striving to use inclusive language whenever possible, I was excited to speak with linguist Maxine Ali for this episode. Maxine specializes in the relationship between language, health, and culture through a feminist lens, and she had many insights to share.
- How Maxine got into linguistics with a specialization in the language of health.
- The ways the language we use can shape how we perceive our reality.
- The wellness culture idea that we are all projects that have to constantly be worked on.
- Our reluctance to detach from language, even when we're informed it's harming people.
- How getting things wrong with language we use is to be expected.
- The way metaphor is used to describe illness.
- How biases, particularly sexism, show up in research.
- The promotion of aesthetics over well-being in wellness culture due to the impact of the male gaze.
- The roles of morality and privilege in health and wellness.
- The issue with claiming that fitness is for everybody but not making spaces that are accessible to everybody.
- How we can start to counteract the biases inherent in language.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Tips for Fostering Resilience in Social Justice Work | #81
- Illness as Metaphor by Susan Sontag
- Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez
- Maxine's Twitter thread that asks people to stop confusing privilege for a healthy lifestyle
- Breaking the bloody silence by Maxine Ali
- This Girl Can advertisement that shows a tampon string
Featured in This Episode
Maxine Ali (she/her) is a linguist specializing in the relationship between language, health, and culture through a feminist lens. Her current research explores the language of wellness, highlighting the dark side of our culture's obsession with “perfect” health. You can keep up with Maxine on her website and Instagram.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Maxine's work. Consider giving Maxine a follow on her Instagram.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.