Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Dr. Lindo Bacon is an esteemed author, researcher, and former professor in the Health At Every Size© and fat liberation communities. Their newest book, Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming It for the Better) was recently released, and I jumped at the opportunity to speak with them about it.
Lindo and I had a warm and inviting conversation about some deeply human topics, including identity, connection, authenticity, vulnerability, compassion, and creating space to truly see others. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed experiencing it.
- How Lindo is holding up in these strange times
- Their mixed feelings about finally releasing Radical Belonging into the world.
- Identity and a chance run-in with Audre Lorde in Lindo's past.
- Lindo's identity as a trans and genderqueer person.
- The balancing act between authenticity/vulnerability and conforming to survive.
- The human need for connection that is biologically wired into us.
- Learning how to really see other people to create more spaces of belonging.
- Adopting a trauma-informed and compassionate lens for better understanding why people do what they do.
- The nuance of accountability, safety, and tone policing.
- Honoring our vulnerability and making space for it.
- How Lindo describes health and wellness for themself at this moment in their life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Lindo's previous books Health At Every Size and the co-authored Body Respect
- Lindo's new book Radical Belonging
- Audre Lorde
- Tone policing
Featured in This Episode
Dr. Lindo Bacon (they/them) is a researcher and former professor, and for nearly two decades taught courses in social justice, health, weight and nutrition. Dr. Bacon holds a PhD in physiology with a specialty in nutrition and Masters degrees in psychology and exercise metabolism. Dr. Bacon has mined their deep academic proficiency, their clinical expertise, and their personal experience to write two bestselling books, Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight, and the co-authored Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, or Just Plain Fail to Understand about Weight. In their newly released book, Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming it for the Better), Bacon takes their inspiring message beyond size to shaping a culture of empathy, equity and true belonging. You can learn more about Lindo on their website, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Lindo's work. Purchase a copy of their book, Radical Belonging, and check out their online community, the Radical Belonging Community.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.