Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Dr. Lindo Bacon is an esteemed author, researcher, and former professor in the Health At Every Size© and fat liberation communities. Their newest book, Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming It for the Better) was recently released, and I jumped at the opportunity to speak with them about it.
Lindo and I had a warm and inviting conversation about some deeply human topics, including identity, connection, authenticity, vulnerability, compassion, and creating space to truly see others. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed experiencing it.
- How Lindo is holding up in these strange times
- Their mixed feelings about finally releasing Radical Belonging into the world.
- Identity and a chance run-in with Audre Lorde in Lindo's past.
- Lindo's identity as a trans and genderqueer person.
- The balancing act between authenticity/vulnerability and conforming to survive.
- The human need for connection that is biologically wired into us.
- Learning how to really see other people to create more spaces of belonging.
- Adopting a trauma-informed and compassionate lens for better understanding why people do what they do.
- The nuance of accountability, safety, and tone policing.
- Honoring our vulnerability and making space for it.
- How Lindo describes health and wellness for themself at this moment in their life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Lindo's previous books Health At Every Size and the co-authored Body Respect
- Lindo's new book Radical Belonging
- Audre Lorde
- Tone policing
Featured in This Episode
Dr. Lindo Bacon (they/them) is a researcher and former professor, and for nearly two decades taught courses in social justice, health, weight and nutrition. Dr. Bacon holds a PhD in physiology with a specialty in nutrition and Masters degrees in psychology and exercise metabolism. Dr. Bacon has mined their deep academic proficiency, their clinical expertise, and their personal experience to write two bestselling books, Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight, and the co-authored Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, or Just Plain Fail to Understand about Weight. In their newly released book, Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming it for the Better), Bacon takes their inspiring message beyond size to shaping a culture of empathy, equity and true belonging. You can learn more about Lindo on their website, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Lindo's work. Purchase a copy of their book, Radical Belonging, and check out their online community, the Radical Belonging Community.
The Queer Agenda
The Queer Agenda is a newsletter dedicated to uplifting LGBTQIA+ folks (where our accomplices benefit too) by sharing thoughtful tools, strategies, advice, and encouragement to help us heal and come home to ourselves. It’s equal parts warm hug, gentle kick in the ass, and queer magic.