Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Anna Chapman is an unapologetically fat-positive person, but it has taken her a lot of hard work to get to this point. By reclaiming words that were once used to hurt her, abandoning the pursuit of “flattering” in order to discover what feels good, and learning to become more grounded in her body, Anna has been able to thrive. And in this episode, she talks about how you can learn to do the same.
- Who Anna is and what she's all about, including the podcast she just started.
- Brand strategy and some of the mistakes brands make when trying to reach fat folx.
- The problem with the idea of “flattering.”
- Anna's advice for how someone can stop dressing for others and start figuring out what they actually want to wear.
- The importance of practicing pleasure.
- Anna's experience being a part of Joyn and how accessibility and options have been at the forefront.
- How exercise still “counts” even if it doesn't meet preconceived notions of what exercise “should” be.
- What inspired her “mindful minute” series on social media.
- Anna's personal experience of reclaiming the word “fat.”
- Her advice for how you can begin this reclamation for yourself if you want to.
- The role that non-fat people play when it comes to being an ally to fat people.
- How the fat community is not a monolith and members of the community have differing and ever-changing opinions.
- How Anna defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Anna's podcast, where you belong
- Shops with plus-size clothing available, such as Torrid, Lane Bryant, and Universal Standard
- Pleasure Activism by adrienne maree brown
- Fat-positive joyful movement classes through Joyn
- Be Nourished started by Hilary Kinavey and Dana Sturtevant
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand that aims to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Featured in This Episode
Anna Chapman (she/her) is a fat-positive Yoga and meditation teacher, joy creator, brand strategist, emotional researcher, and badass, untrained, free-form dancer. Anna’s mission in life is to help create liberated spaces for fat folx to thrive and heal. You can find Anna on her website, Instagram, and podcast.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.