Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Anna Chapman is an unapologetically fat-positive person, but it has taken her a lot of hard work to get to this point. By reclaiming words that were once used to hurt her, abandoning the pursuit of “flattering” in order to discover what feels good, and learning to become more grounded in her body, Anna has been able to thrive. And in this episode, she talks about how you can learn to do the same.
- Who Anna is and what she's all about, including the podcast she just started.
- Brand strategy and some of the mistakes brands make when trying to reach fat folx.
- The problem with the idea of “flattering.”
- Anna's advice for how someone can stop dressing for others and start figuring out what they actually want to wear.
- The importance of practicing pleasure.
- Anna's experience being a part of Joyn and how accessibility and options have been at the forefront.
- How exercise still “counts” even if it doesn't meet preconceived notions of what exercise “should” be.
- What inspired her “mindful minute” series on social media.
- Anna's personal experience of reclaiming the word “fat.”
- Her advice for how you can begin this reclamation for yourself if you want to.
- The role that non-fat people play when it comes to being an ally to fat people.
- How the fat community is not a monolith and members of the community have differing and ever-changing opinions.
- How Anna defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Anna's podcast, where you belong
- Shops with plus-size clothing available, such as Torrid, Lane Bryant, and Universal Standard
- Pleasure Activism by adrienne maree brown
- Fat-positive joyful movement classes through Joyn
- Be Nourished started by Hilary Kinavey and Dana Sturtevant
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand that aims to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Featured in This Episode
Anna Chapman (she/her) is a fat-positive Yoga and meditation teacher, joy creator, brand strategist, emotional researcher, and badass, untrained, free-form dancer. Anna’s mission in life is to help create liberated spaces for fat folx to thrive and heal. You can find Anna on her website, Instagram, and podcast.
The Queer Agenda
The Queer Agenda is a newsletter dedicated to uplifting LGBTQIA+ folks (where our accomplices benefit too) by sharing thoughtful tools, strategies, advice, and encouragement to help us heal and come home to ourselves. It’s equal parts warm hug, gentle kick in the ass, and queer magic.