Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
In this episode, I am delighted to give y’all a window into my longest-running friendship. I’m chatting with my childhood bestie, Parisa Zaeri, who is an accomplished conductor, coach, and collaborative pianist.
We talk about our own experiences growing up involved in the arts and how the music education we received has continued to affect our lives years later. We also delve into the problems with hustle culture and how rethinking success can allow you to live a life that is the best fit for you.
- Parisa’s upbringing as a musician and the path her music career has taken up to this point.
- Striking the right balance when something you’re really passionate about is also something you’re relying on to make money.
- The harm caused by defining success in a limited way and glorifying hustle culture.
- The importance of having hobbies and creative endeavors that aren’t monetized, especially if you’re an artist.
- The impact music education had on Parisa’s life growing up, and the ways in which kids are suffering from the budget cuts to arts funding.
- Artsy classes as a home for many misfits in high school.
- What it’s been like for Parisa as a woman working in the very male-dominated field of conducting (and why she chooses not to focus on it).
- How Parisa defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in This Episode
Featured in This Episode
Parisa Zaeri (she/her) is a native of Dallas and maintains an active career as a conductor, coach, and collaborative pianist. When not performing, Parisa spends her time advocating for arts education, most recently as the Impact & Assessment Analyst at The Colburn School. She currently resides in Los Angeles with her husband, cellist Zack Reaves, and two dogs, Cassie and Blue. You can find Parisa on her website, Instagram, and Facebook.
Take a Deeper Dive into Redefining Health & Wellness
- All episodes are available to listen to on a variety of podcast players, including Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify.
- Join the conversation with host Shohreh Davoodi on Instagram and Facebook, and access exclusive podcast content on Patreon.
- Sign up for Shohreh's email newsletter to be one of the first to hear about new episodes and announcements.
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to invest in and support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Join my Patreon.
Patreon is a way for badass people like you to stand with and celebrate the creators you love (like me!). While becoming a patron is primarily a declaration that you believe in the content I'm already putting out, you'll also get extra perks for joining, such as podcast exclusives and Q&A recordings. Learn more and sign up here.
2. Leave a tip.
Can't commit to ongoing contributions right now? Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app:
3. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode, and ratings and reviews help other people who could benefit from the podcast's content to actually find it. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts, and then scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. And if you're enjoying the podcast overall or specific episodes in particular, don't hesitate to share with the people in your life or give a shout-out on social media.