Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
I am far from an influencer so I don't work with a lot of brands to begin with, but Superfit Hero is one brand that has impressed me from the start. Under the leadership of Micki Krimmel, this size-inclusive activewear company is leading the way in body positivity, both talking the talk and walking the walk.
It was such a joy to have Micki on the podcast to talk about how Superfit Hero got its start, the truth about creating clothing in larger sizes, why the brand has decided to stick with body positivity even as others are abandoning it, and more.
- The winding road that Micki took to launch Superfit Hero with no background in fashion.
- How roller derby was a huge change from Micki's previous fitness pursuits to simply get skinny.
- The inclusiveness and body positivity of roller derby that led to the values behind Superfit Hero as a brand.
- Micki's discovery that there was a hole in the market for size-inclusive activewear.
- The Kickstarter campaign that provided Superfit Hero's initial round of funding.
- Size inclusivity as a feminist issue.
- Where the name Superfit Hero comes from.
- The company's aim to sponsor athletes who are being ignored by more mainstream brands.
- The nuts and bolts of creating clothing in larger sizes (spoiler alert: it's not as hard as you'd think considering how many brands are ignoring this huge part of the market).
- Brands that claim to be size-inclusive or body positive but aren't walking the walk.
- Usable pockets as a feminist calling card.
- The beautiful community that is Superfit Hero's customer Facebook group.
- How to use the Body Positive Fitness Finder or apply to join it.
- The co-opting of body positivity, intuitive eating, etc., as well as the real confusion about what these and similar terms mean.
- Some of what we can expect from Superfit Hero in 2020.
- How Micki defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life, including using her movement practice as a way to center herself.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Superfit Hero Sponsored Athletes
- Superfit Hero's private Facebook group for fitness talk, discounts, pet photos, and more
The Partnership Guidelines to join the Body Positive Fitness Finder
- Amber Karnes, Illya Parker, and the Body Positive Fitness Alliance
Featured in This Episode
Micki Krimmel (she/her) is the founder of Superfit Hero, a body-positive lifestyle brand with a mission to make fitness more inclusive. Superfit Hero makes confidence-inspiring activewear for athletes and connects people with opportunities for joyful movement with the Body Positive Fitness Finder. You can connect with Superfit Hero on their website, Instagram, Facebook, and free, private Facebook group for fitness talk, discounts, and more.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.