Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
As someone on the cusp of turning thirty, menopause still feels pretty far off to me. But I'm so glad I had this conversation with coach Michelle Viña-Baltsas to learn more about what to expect when the time comes.
Even if menopause isn't on the horizon for you (now or ever), Michelle gave great tips on how to treat yourself with self-compassion when your body is changing, why loving your body doesn't have to be your ultimate goal, and more.
- How Michelle became an intuitive eating coach specializing in menopause.
- The range of possible changes that a person can experience in perimenopause and menopause.
- Why it's important to be aware of what can happen in menopause so that you're more prepared and better able to manage your symptoms.
- The biological reason for weight gain and changes in belly size during menopause.
- How to deal with internalized fatphobia and discomfort during a time when your body is changing.
- The specific challenges of trying to stop dieting and adopt intuitive eating in menopause, including what gentle nutrition can look like.
- The fact that you don't have to love your body to respect it and take care of it.
- How the fear of invisibility makes menopause even more challenging for some people.
- The positive aspects of being older that Michelle has experienced in her own life.
- How Michelle defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life, including cultivating kindness and being realistic about what she can and cannot achieve.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Pursuing Perfection by Margo Maine
- Christy Harrison on diet culture
- Michelle's No Diet Sisterhood Facebook group
- Michelle's “Menopause…It Happens” free handout
Featured in This Episode
Michelle Viña-Baltsas (she/her) coaches women of all ages and stages of diet recovery to have a less complicated relationship with food and body. Her clients affectionately call her the “self-compassion queen” because her coaching is heavily focused on being kinder and less judgmental toward themselves. This provides the space needed to untangle themselves from the unrealistic demands of diet culture so they can live their lives focused on their individual needs and values. You can find Michelle on her website, Instagram, and free Facebook group, the No Diet Sisterhood.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
I’m a self-trust coach, writer, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.