Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
In a world of clickbait headlines and social media surfing, mental health is often boiled down to a black-and-white binary that paints one side as desirable and the other as harmful. Licensed individual and couples therapist, Todd Baratz, thinks that oversimplification is contributing to our feelings of shame. In this episode, Todd recommends that we work to understand how culture influences our understanding of diagnoses and what’s “normal” so that we can create our own meaning in mental health and beyond.
- Todd’s work and his popular Instagram account, @yourdiagnonsense
- What Todd means when he says that mental health is a social construct.
- Why Todd chooses not to use diagnoses in his therapeutic work.
- The problem with viewing diagnoses as truth without doing any further research to understand the history of those diagnoses.
- Shortcomings of breaking mental health down into binaries like “healthy/unhealthy.”
- The shame people feel from not being able to measure up to black-and-white mental health ideals, such as ones often seen in social media content.
- Todd’s concern with the tendency people have to try and diagnose people in their lives.
- Our desire as humans to be “normal” and the limitations of labels.
- How expectations hurt relationships and our sex lives.
- Strategies for co-creating relationships from the very beginning.
- Todd’s recommendation for partners to masturbate together.
- How Todd defines health and wellness for himself at this moment in his life.
Featured in This Episode
Todd Baratz (he/him) is a licensed individual and couples psychotherapist, podcast host, and writer who specializes in relationships and sex. Todd’s philosophy is that you’re not fucked up, your culture is. You can learn more about Todd on his website and Instagram.
Did you benefit from this episode? You can show your appreciation by supporting Todd’s work. Consider signing up for Todd’s Sex 101 course.
Take a Deeper Dive into Redefining Health & Wellness
- All episodes are available to listen to on a variety of podcast players, including Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify.
- Join the conversation with host Shohreh Davoodi on Instagram and Facebook, and access exclusive podcast content on Patreon.
- Sign up for Shohreh's email newsletter to be one of the first to hear about new episodes and announcements.
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to invest in and support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Join my Patreon.
Patreon is a way for badass people like you to stand with and celebrate the creators you love (like me!). While becoming a patron is primarily a declaration that you believe in the content I'm already putting out, you'll also get extra perks for joining, such as podcast exclusives and Q&A recordings. Learn more and sign up here.
2. Leave a tip.
Can't commit to ongoing contributions right now? Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app:
3. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode, and ratings and reviews help other people who could benefit from the podcast's content to actually find it. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts, and then scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. And if you're enjoying the podcast overall or specific episodes in particular, don't hesitate to share with the people in your life or give a shout-out on social media.