[This episode is part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series sponsored by Superfit Hero.]
TW: Discussion of dieting behaviors and violence against Black and trans folx
The fitness status quo is toxic for all who encounter it, and it has especially poisonous effects on the most marginalized. Fitness as we know it is inextricably linked to white, Eurocentric standards of beauty, a diet and wellness culture that is inaccessible to many, and other systems of oppression.
Ilya Parker, the founder of Decolonizing Fitness, calls out the problematic nature of mainstream fitness and lays out the ways in which we can replace it with a new paradigm that is social justice-oriented. If you want to divest yourself from a fitness culture that is harmful, this episode will help you get started.
- How Ilya identifies and what led to the creation of his company, Decolonizing Fitness.
- How Ilya defines what it means to “decolonize” fitness.
- The tentacles of the toxic fitness industry octopus and how they permeate all fitness spaces.
- How privilege shields us from the toxicity and discrimination present in different environments.
- Ways in which fitness consumers can detox from our harmful mainstream fitness culture.
- Alternatives to paying for a trainer who makes you feel like crap or like something is wrong with you.
- The need for trainers to provide anti-oppressive, accessible, and trauma-sensitive services.
- Trainers who give problematic advice outside of their scope of practice.
- How clients are the experts on their own bodies.
- The aspects of education that trainers receive that feed into a narrow view of fitness.
- Why politics and social justice do belong in conversations about health and wellness.
- How elitism in fitness can impede social justice.
- Understanding your ancestry and generational wealth, especially if you’re white.
- How Ilya defines health and wellness for himself at this moment in his life.
Mentioned in this Episode:
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series
Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand with sizes that range from XS-5XL, and they aim to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. To get 15% off your first order, you can use the special series discount code, CHANGEMAKER, when you check out at superfithero.com. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.