In a weight-centric world, the scale is heralded as the ultimate tool to track progress, and the number it provides is treated as a proxy for health, well-being, fitness, nutrition, and more. The way we view the scale is so distorted that it has taken on a carnival game sheen – “Just step right up and instantly receive a judgment on your worth, health, and so much more!”
While the scale may be useful in some contexts, that doesn’t change the fact that the only thing the scale can tell you is your weight at a specific moment in time. Which, all things considered, is a pretty simplistic measure. So why do we continue to use the scale as an arbiter of such complex areas of our lives?
In this solo episode, I argue that we shouldn’t be relying on the scale as a way of tracking progress towards our health and wellness goals. I also go into detail about alternative ways to track your progress, including:
- Changes in your ability level;
- Changes in your level of pain or your health conditions;
- Changes in your energy levels and stress levels;
- Changes in your thought patterns and mindset; and
- Changes in how well you’re able to listen to your body and respond to its needs.
Using progress-tracking tools like the above will allow you to get a better picture of your overall health and well-being than the scale could ever provide. And as an added bonus, you’ll learn a ton about yourself in the process.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Weight-Inclusive Medical Care with Jess Campbell | #23
- Health At Every Size and Weight Stigma with Ashley M. Seruya | #2
- Body of Truth by Harriet Brown
- Body Respect by Lindo Bacon and Lucy Aphramor
- Seasons of Love from Rent
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Featured on this Episode:
Shohreh Davoodi, the host of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast, is a weight-inclusive wellness coach located in Austin, Texas. She is certified in intuitive eating and personal training and helps clients improve their relationships with exercise, food, and their bodies. You can work with Shohreh online from anywhere in the world. Find her on her website, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, & Google Play, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.
Cash App: cash.app/$ShohrehDavoodi