Click here to access a written transcript of this episode.
Rocky Lane and Sarah Swofford are an adorable activist power couple, and I loved talking to them for this episode. On their own they are a self-proclaimed black trans man (Rocky) and a fat, queer woman (Sarah), and together they are SwirlBabyTV.
I spoke with these dedicated LGBTQPIA+ community advocates about common misconceptions about trans people and cis-trans relationships, barriers to health and wellness for trans people, how to be a better ally if you're cisgender, and more. By openly sharing their personal stories and experiences, Rocky and Sarah provide a much needed educational opportunity for the rest of us.
- What “cisgender” and “transgender” mean.
- Who Rocky and Sarah are as individuals and how they came together as a couple.
- Common misconceptions they've dealt with about being trans and being in a cis-trans relationship.
- Inappropriate questions to ask trans individuals and people in cis-trans relationships.
- The importance of doing your own research instead of expecting free emotional labor from trans people.
- Barriers to health and wellness for the trans community.
- The way that different marginalized identities intersect to create additional barriers.
- How cis allies can best support the trans community.
- The importance of social health in overall health and well-being.
- How Sarah and Rocky each define health and wellness for themselves at this moment in their lives.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Transgender Education Network of Texas (TENT) and the educational services the organization provides
- Autonomy Movement, the studio where both Rocky and Sarah work
- The Girl Gang Talks Bisexuality Myths and Misconceptions | #12
- SwirlBaby TV video about things you should stop asking trans guys
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand that aims to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Featured in This Episode
Rocky Lane (he/him) and Sarah Swofford (she/her) run an entertainment and lifestyle YouTube channel called SwirlBabyTV. The goal of SwirlBaby is to share their unconventional love story, educate their community on trans-cis relationships, and give a glimpse into the challenges and triumphs that exist in LGBTQPIA+ life. They are both dedicated community advocates who provide beauty and wellness services to all people and all bodies at a body-positive, mirrorless fitness studio in Austin, Texas, called Autonomy Movement. Outside of YouTube, you can catch up with Rocky and Sarah on their website, Instagram, and Facebook.
Take a Deeper Dive into the Show
How To Support the Podcast
Each episode of the podcast is carefully crafted with you, the listener, in mind. If you appreciate the podcast and what you're learning from it, there are multiple ways to support it so I can continue to put out episodes for months and years to come.
1. Subscribe, rate & review, and share.
Want to help the show keep growing? First, subscribing to the podcast in your podcast provider of choice is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Second, ratings and reviews in Apple Podcasts make it easier for people to discover the show. To leave one, click here from any Apple device, scroll down to "Ratings and Reviews", and click where it says "Write A Review" to submit one. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your favorite episodes with friends or give the podcast a shout-out on social media (I love seeing your tags!).
2. Leave a tip.
While the podcast is still growing and without consistent advertisers, the hours of labor I put into producing the show are unpaid, and I pay for editing, transcriptions, and hosting out of pocket. Consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo, or the Cash app to show your appreciation for all the work that goes into putting out a weekly episode for you to enjoy:
Share the love!
I’m a self-trust coach, content creator, and podcast host with a mission to help people figure out who they are and what they value so they can come home to themselves.
Each week, I pour my heart into The Sunday Share to bring creative and valuable insights to your inbox that you won’t want to miss.