[This episode is part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series sponsored by Superfit Hero.]
Rocky Lane and Sarah Swofford are an adorable activist power couple, and I loved talking to them for this episode. On their own they are a self-proclaimed black trans man (Rocky) and a fat, queer woman (Sarah), and together they are SwirlBabyTV.
I spoke with these dedicated LGBTQPIA+ community advocates about common misconceptions about trans people and cis-trans relationships, barriers to health and wellness for trans people, how to be a better ally if you’re cisgender, and more. By openly sharing their personal stories and experiences, Rocky and Sarah provide a much needed educational opportunity for the rest of us.
- What “cisgender” and “transgender” mean.
- Who Rocky and Sarah are as individuals and how they came together as a couple.
- Common misconceptions they’ve dealt with about being trans and being in a cis-trans relationship.
- Inappropriate questions to ask trans individuals and people in cis-trans relationships.
- The importance of doing your own research instead of expecting free emotional labor from trans people.
- Barriers to health and wellness for the trans community.
- The way that different marginalized identities intersect to create additional barriers.
- How cis allies can best support the trans community.
- The importance of social health in overall health and well-being.
- How Sarah and Rocky each define health and wellness for themselves at this moment in their lives.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Transgender Education Network of Texas (TENT) and the educational services the organization provides
- Autonomy Movement, the studio where both Rocky and Sarah work
- The Girl Gang Talks Bisexuality Myths and Misconceptions | #12
- SwirlBaby TV video about things you should stop asking trans guys
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series
Sponsored by Superfit Hero
I am so grateful to be collaborating with the body-positive brand Superfit Hero to introduce you to these changemakers who are taking the health and wellness industry in a new direction. The series runs from episode #37 to episode #48, so be sure to catch them all. Superfit Hero is an inclusive activewear brand with sizes that range from XS-5XL, and they aim to provide clothing for ultimate confidence, no matter your size or sport. To get 15% off your first order, you can use the special series discount code, CHANGEMAKER, when you check out at superfithero.com. And if you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week, be sure to check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers in Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Featured on this Episode:
Rocky Lane and Sarah Swofford run an entertainment and lifestyle YouTube channel called SwirlBabyTV. The goal of SwirlBaby is to share their unconventional love story, educate their community on trans-cis relationships, and give a glimpse into the challenges and triumphs that exist in LGBTQPIA+ life. They are both dedicated community advocates who provide beauty and wellness services to all people and all bodies at a body-positive, mirrorless fitness studio in Austin, Texas, called Autonomy Movement. Outside of YouTube, you can catch up with Rocky and Sarah on their website, Instagram, and Facebook.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, & more, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.